So, tomorrow’s the big day for UK DJs and hardware manufacturers alike, with everyone descending on Birmingham’s NEC for three whole days.
I’m lucky enough to be part of the digitaldjtips.com team for the weekend and we will be finding out everything and anything about all the shiny new gadgets, and delivering it all right into your eyeballs. We will be filming, snapping, interviewing, stalking… and tweeting. You can follow all the action from @digitaldjtips and @djs_life by searching for the #ddjtbpm hashtag.
You can also meet the team and other digital DJs this Saturday at 13:00 on the Novation stand. We’ll be the ones wearing the t-shirts as below (courtesy of my lovely wife, accidentalvix) and the big smiles.
You can't miss us.
February 2011 mix. My first mix using new Kontrol X1s. A bit rough around the edges but some good tunes!
001. HEFTY – No Escape (Original Mix)
002. Mario Miranda, Daniele Petronelli and Audiocut – Aqua Marcia (Ricky Stone and Mikael Jonasson Remix)
003. Moenster – This Is For You (Robag Wruhmes Chukka Boot Rekksmoe Remix)
004. Marco Resmann – This Song feat Soucie Six (Original Mix)
005. Kane Roth – Souspicious Mind (Monoloc Remix)
006. Edit Select & Alex Smoke – The Retainer (Original Mix)
007. Alan Fitzpatrick – A Small Decline (Mark Broom Dubbed Mix)
008. Emptyset – Altogether Lost feat Cornelius Harris (Original Mix)
009. Kaiserdisco – Aguja (F.Sonik Remix)
010. Booka Shade – Regenerate (Pysh Remix)
011. Masomenos – 9 Balloons (Original Mix)
012. Amyn – Moonbird (Original Mix)
013. Tony Rohr – Sweat On My Tabla (Original Mix)
014. Paul Kalkbrenner – Sky And Sand feat Fritz Kalkbrenner (Original Mix)
Native Instruments have finally revealed their latest bit of DJ kit which was teased a couple weeks ago. The new package is a combination of MIDI hardware mixer and software, very much in the vein of Serato’s ITCH packages.
Some musings of my own as well as from other respected sites:
- The system is effectively two MIDI channels and two analogue channels, with the samplers using wet/dry control. This means it is stuck with two virtual decks and two sample banks along with turntables or CD decks.
- Ean from DJTechTools had a hand in designing the system, meaning controllerism is at the heart of this mixer.
- The audio interface uses the guts of the Audio 4 DJ, meaning rock solid performance and great sound quality.
- The hardware use HID for control. This allows for much higher resolution, meaning smoother jog wheels and filters.
- The software features will eventually feed down into the original Traktor [Scratch] Pro software, giving current owners the chance to use Samplers and some of the new streamlined interface tweaks.
- This thing is true Plug n Play meaning no messing about with settings. SIMPLES!
There has recently been a slew of new 4-deck controllers from some of the biggest hitters in the industry. Allen & Heath launched the DX/ITCH package at BPM 2009, Denon have just announced the DN-MC6000, American Audio have the VMS4 and I’m sure there are other just around the corner from the likes of Vestax, Reloop and Numark.
Pricing and availability
The Traktor Kontrol S4 system will be available this winter for a suggested retail price of $999 / 899 EUR or around £750. The case will be available at the same time for $189 / 169 EUR or around £140.
Now check it out in action!
Here are some other blogs covering the system:
Native Instruments just announced on various social channels a new video with Dubfire demonstrating some new software/hardware.
Upcoming new Traktor system roadtested by Dubfire in this video:
Screen cap of the new Traktor. Note the new layout for the EFX.
new Traktor based DJ hardware. Looks very similar to the VMS4
Screen cap showing the new sampler deck!
EDIT: Skratchworx has a fair write up about the hardware.
- Large form factor like the Torq Xponent and Amercian Audio VMS4
- 4 channels
- 4 hot cues
- Transport controls below the jogs
- Sample player – looks like 4 slots per deck (or maybe 2 decks plus 2 sample banks?) with play, volume and maybe F for filter (should silence the haters at last)
- 4″ Jogwheel with a big ass Traktor logoSome sort of status bar showing different lights – on air, samples, deck a/c and deck b/d indicators, keylock and master
- Loop controls to crunch or expand the loop with what looks like an numerical readout
- Built in track navigation and loading
- Big filter on each channel
- Lots of lights for ease of use in the dark
- I can’t make out effects controls, but seeing as this controller largely mimics the interface of Traktor, I expect these controls are across the top
This is really nerd heaven for fans of Traktor Pro and/or Techno music. Legend Richie Hawtin playing live. You can see he has a pair of NI’s Kontrol X1s, a lovely Allen & Heath Xone42 mixer and NI Maschine hooked up somewhere.
I saw Hawtin live last week for free in Trafalgar Square (for Canada Day, randomly) and after his 45 minutes, was left wanting more.
EDIT: And here’s another not so good one from Awakenings 2010.