So, it’s that time of year again where you re-examine your life and make promises to yourself which you probably won’t keep. After reading this article by my esteemed colleague, Phil from digitaldjtips.com, it got me thinking about how to do more with my hobby/passion. So here’s a rundown of some of my thoughts on 2011.
- Record and upload a mix a month – Mixcloud is a most non-heinous website for uploading and listening to mixes. The site is very easy to use and unlike Soundcloud, you can upload as many mixes as you want, they just can’t be downloaded. Every month, so much great new music lands on my hard drive that never really gets a look in. Let’s get that shown off!
- DJ out more – Sort of related to the above, I love DJing, but I’ve never been bothered about doing it as a job. Doing parties and small events is much more personal and you don’t have to deal with customers and bothersome bar owners. The excitement as you start your first track is a rush I will never get bored off.
- Devote more time to new music – So much great stuff out there! The web makes it easy to listen to mixes!
- Buy some Technics 1210s – The DJs Life Towers is currently a postage-sized overpriced flat in South West London. As such, my setup had to be streamlined and the excess equipment packed away. A wedding and bigger ambitions on the horizon means that moving is inevitable and more space to use. I’m looking forward to building some proper studio space without hundreds of wires littering the room.
- Finish producing a track – I learned a lot about Ableton Live and production in 2010. It’s time to put this stuff to use.
- Own a hardware synthesiser – even if it’s just this Korg.
- Do more with this place! This website doesn’t get enough love. I’ll do more, promise!
Over to you! Have you got any new year’s resolutions? Did you manage to keep any you made for 2010?